All the data out there shows that creating a routine is a key factor in successful weight loss, maintenance and developing healthy habits. Research says you need to stick with something for 4 weeks to make it a habit.
The main constant in my life - is the lack of routine. This is both challenging and fun at times (depending on the day). Lately, I have been in more airports that usual, different hotels and more than two cities a week not including my home in Boston. Needless to say, I often wake up and have no idea what time zone or city I’m in. Luckily, I call my husband and he reminds me where I am (if he can remember.)
Anyhoo, I’m finding the lack of routine to be a challenge in developing a weight loss / fitness plan. This doesn’t come as a surprise to me. I’ve been a road warrior for 4 years now. I know that the weeks can easily fill up with unhealthy lunches of take out (you can’t pack your own when you’re on the road), boozy work dinners (usually Wednesday nights) and the general inability to procure healthy meals from room service or elsewhere.
I’m not saying this to give you all excuses. I actually did pretty well sticking to my goals the past two weeks on the road. My lunches included salads without dressing and dinners with double veggies. Workouts were regaled to yoga in my hotel room as my sneakers were in Chicago and I was in Charlotte… complications that I didn’t plan for.
However, I need a plan I can stick with. This is my last multi-city week and I start a “routine” next week. I’ll be in Chicago from Monday – Thursday each week and I’ve set out a plan for the following routine. I need it during the days on the road so I don’t get distracted from my goals. Hold me to it.
Here is my routine:
Monday – Travel Day
· Fitness rest day
· Breakfast at home before my 8AM flight
· Healthy lunch at the client site
· Room service for dinner
Tuesday
· AM workout in the hotel gym
· Oatmeal in my hotel room w/ fresh fruit
· Healthy lunch at the client site
· PM yoga/Pilates in hotel room
· Room service for dinner
Wednesday
· AM workout in the hotel gym
· Oatmeal in my hotel room w/ fresh fruit
· Healthy lunch at the client site
· Social dinner with Team
Thursday – Return Home Day
· AM workout in hotel gym if travel schedule prohibits Friday workout
· Oatmeal in my hotel room w/ fresh fruit
· Healthy lunch at the client site
· Airport dinner (veggies and salad- to go)
Friday
· Workout in home gym or day off if Thursday AM workout completed
· Meals will depend on if I’m working from home or the office
Saturday
· Exercise home gym or run outside
Sunday
· Exercise home gym or run outside
Recap from last week – Exercised 4 days, ate healthy 5 days, lost 1 pound, feel healthier and found it easier to run later in the week.
Thirty to 30 Total Weight Loss = 5lbs as of Monday, June 06, 2011
No comments:
Post a Comment